Provision of services on part-time basis for an initial period of 6 months.
The Global Alliance for Trade Facilitation is an initiative jointly hosted by the World Economic Forum, the International Chamber of Commerce and the Center for International Private Enterprise in cooperation with Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ).
The Alliance’s work is designed to help governments in developing and least developed countries implement the World Trade Organization’s Trade Facilitation Agreement (TFA). It brings together governments and businesses as equal partners to identify trade facilitation issues such as customs delays and unnecessary red-tape at borders, and design and implement targeted reforms that deliver commercially quantifiable results
The Alliance is supported by the governments of the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, Germany and Denmark, and works with private sector partners from small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) to the world’s largest multinationals such as DHL, FCA Group, Maersk, UPS and Walmart.
As part of its work, the Alliance (in collaboration with the US ASEAN Business Council) is developing a project aimed at supporting countries in the ASEAN region to prepare themselves for distribution of the Covid-19 vaccine which will be widely available at the beginning of 2021. For this purpose we are seeking a number of domain experts who could assist us with this work on a part-time basis.
2) Description of services
The services will be provided over an initial period of time of 6 months which can be renewed depending on the success of the initiative. The Vaccine Logistics Domain Expert will operate from a location of his/her choice and will collaborate closely with the Global Alliance for Trade Facilitation team.
The Technical Domain Expert(s) will support all efforts of the Alliance to help governments in the ASEAN region be fully ready to receive and distribute the Covid-19 vaccine in optimal conditions. The expectation of the Alliance is to draw on the experience and knowledge of the consultants in the domain of health, vaccination logistics, covid-19 related activities around the work and perform key roles within the team delivering the following key functions:
- Conduct a preliminary stakeholder mapping for all countries in scope to identify all relevant public and private actors;
- Conduct in-country research using the diagnostic methodology and tools developed by the Alliance;
- Identify key areas of potential logistical challenges which could be addressed by the Alliance
- Conduct a table top test exercise to ensure that all processes related to clearing vaccine, syringes, needles and all other supporting equipment are both time and cost efficient as well as sufficiently robust to adapt to unexpected events.
- Conduct dummy shipments to test processes and procedures in a realistic manner
- Manage the technical elements of the process mapping, table top testing and dummy shipment testing;
- Coordinate and participate in the capture of data to ensure harmonised outputs from each of the countries involved.
4) Required profile
- At least 3 years of relevant professional experience in trade facilitation, international trade economics or international development.
- At least 3 years of experience in the domain of logistics related to pharmaceuticals and related domains.
- Experience in table top testing, project management and core logistics.
- Working experience in the ASEAN region would be an advantage.
- Strong understanding of the TFA and other applicable international instruments
- Strong written communication and stakeholder engagement skills
- Command of Microsoft packages (MS Word, MS Excel, MS Access) is required.
- Fluency in spoken and written English.
- Excellent organisational, interpersonal and network-building skills and the ability to work in a multi-stakeholder, multi-cultural environment.
- Attention to detail, superior organisation skills and ability to operate within tight deadlines.
- Established as an independent consultant
5) Duration of Assignment
The duration of the contract will be for an initial 6 months, renewable. Expected start date: As soon as possible.
7) Deliverables and payment schedule
For the performance of duties outlined in this Terms of Reference, the consultant(s) will be paid monthly on the basis of the amount of work conducted.
To apply for this opportunity, please send a resume and cover letter addressing your relevant qualifications to this consultancy, and your daily consulting rate in PDF format to: Sandra Wydler (firstname.lastname@example.org) with the subject line: “Vaccine Logistics Domain Expert [YOURLASTNAME]” until 15 December 2020