Request for Services – Consultant – ePhyto IT and SPS Expert
Global Alliance for Trade Facilitation / World Economic Forum
The Global Alliance for Trade Facilitation (the Alliance) is a public-private partnership for trade-led growth, supporting governments in developing and least-developed countries in implementing the World Trade Organization’s Trade Facilitation Agreement. Alliance projects cut through red tape and end costly delays at borders by bringing together governments and businesses of all sizes as equal partners to deliver targeted trade reforms.
The Alliance is led by the Center for International Private Enterprise (CIPE), the International Chamber of Commerce, and the World Economic Forum, in cooperation with Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ). It is funded by the governments of the United States, Canada, Germany, and Denmark.
As part of its work, the Alliance is collaborating with the International Plant Protection Convention (IPPC) Secretariat to help governments in developing and least developed countries make trade simpler, faster, and more cost-effective while strengthening plant health protection and consumer safety. They aim to do this by supporting countries to introduce electronic phytosanitary certificates, or ePhytos.
The consultancy services required relate to the implementation of Alliance electronic Phytosanitary Certificate (ePhyto) projects in selected countries. The Consultant will be required to provide technical expertise and know-how to support the Alliance ePhyto Domain Team (Domain Team) in implementing the IPPC solution in selected countries.
The projects take place in the following countries:
2. Description of services
ePhyto projects technical implementation consists of connecting the National Plant Protection Agency (NPPO) of each country to the IPPC ePhyto Hub, while insuring the respect of the UN-CEFACT XML requirements of the Hub in application of the International standards for Phytosanitary Measures (ISPM).
NPPOs can connect to the Hub, either by:
- Using their own developed National IT System (National System)
- Using the Generic National System (GeNS) solution provided by IPPC
The tasks of the contractor need be adapted to each project of the country portfolio and conducted using the relevant professional practices, tools and activities (Meetings, workshops, technical and methodological assessments, plans, presentations, reports, teamwork, …).
The Consultant will support the Domain Team in ensuring the effective implementation of the ePhyto projects. This may include:
- Providing specific implementation guidance and support, as requested by the Domain Team
- Assessing specific difficulties that may arise during project implementation and proposing workable solutions, as requested by the Domain Team
- Providing overall support to the Domain Team as required to ensure the success of the project
In particular, the tasks expected to be performed are:
- Deliver technical advice and support to the IT architectural design
- Carry out IT audits
- Contribute to technical reportings
- Deliver activities related to the IT development field under the guidance of the Domain team
3. Required profile
- Graduate degree in IT Engineering (equivalent to Master’s degree)
- Experience in supporting the implementation of the ePhyto solution in at least 3 countries
- Experience in working within an international Phytosanitary Certification environment
- Minimum 5 years in Analysis and audit of the existing infrastructures
- Minimum 5 years in Technical recommendations on IT architecture
- Minimum 5 years in Design, development and integration of IT system
- Minimum 5 years in Experience in implementing related IT and EDI systems, especially in EDI-XML
- Minimum 2 years detailed experience in the IPPC ePhyto Hub and GeNS Solution
- Minimum 2 years in delivering IT projects with electronic signature of XML files in the field of SPS exchanges
- Strong written and oral communication skills in English and French.
- Strong stakeholder engagement skills
- Ability to travel internationally as needed (health and government regulations permitting) would be an asset.
Initial contract of up to 40 days over 10 months, subject to extension. Period of assignment: From 01/07/2023 until 30/04/2024.
5. Public official disclosures
Directly contracted by World Economic Forum. To apply for this opportunity, please send your CV in English and financial proposal (daily rate in US dollars) in PDF format to: Marie Pellet (email@example.com) with the subject line “ePhyto IT Expert – YOURNAME).
All applications must be received no later than 11.59 CET on 23 June 2023.