VA No. 068
Job Title: Project Manager
Min. qualification: University degree in trade, law, economics, logistics or a subject related to customs administration
Organization: GIZ Nigeria, Global Alliance for Trade Facilitation (GATF)
Salary: According to GIZ salary scale for Band 4 Closing
Date of advert: 29.05.2019
GIZ. Solutions that work.
As a service provider in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development and international education work, we are dedicated to shaping a future worth living around the world. GIZ has over 50 years of experience in a wide variety of areas, including economic development and employment promotion, energy and the environment, and peace and security. The diverse expertise of our federal enterprise is in demand around the globe – from the German Government, European Union institutions, the United Nations, the private sector and governments of other countries. We work with businesses, civil society actors and research institutions, fostering successful interaction between development policy and other policy fields and areas of activity. Our main commissioning party is the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ). The registered offices of GIZ are in Bonn and Eschborn. Our 19,506 employees, almost 70 per cent of whom are national personnel, work in around 120 countries (December 2017).
GIZ has worked in Nigeria since 1974. From 2004, GIZ has maintained a country office in the capital city Abuja. Currently 280 national and 51 international employees and 4 integrated specialists are working in the country (as of 31.12.2018).
The Global Alliance for Trade Facilitation is a unique public-private platform dedicated to international trade facilitation. The Alliance works with the public and private sectors to identify bottlenecks in the supply chain in developing countries and implement targeted, clear-cut and measurable solutions. The Alliance is funded by the United States, Germany, the United Kingdom, Canada, Australia and Denmark. GIZ, the German development agency, is developing a project in Nigeria.
Responsibilities & tasks:
▪ Provides for the Global Alliance for Trade Facilitation (GATF) initiative professional advisory services to Nigeria’s National Trade Facilitation Committee (NTFC) and other institutions directly involved in the implementation of TF measures (including the Nigerian Customs Service) to implement the WTO TFA within the framework of a GIZ-GATF project and to cooperate with a broad range of target groups.
▪ Manages the GIZ-GATF project in Nigeria:
– Developing a Trade Facilitation project jointly with the public and private sector
– Conceptualizing and implementing Trade Facilitation activities
– Coordinating between the Nigeria NTFC stakeholders, in particular Nigeria’s Federal Ministry of Industry, Trade & Investment, the Nigeria Customs Service, Enabling Business Environment Secretariat (EBES) and Nigeria’s private sector with other stakeholders and private sector representatives
– Improving the dialogue and exchange between the private sector and public sector, e.g. by organizing public private dialogue and supporting conferences and workshops
– Developing communication material and background information regarding private sector priorities in trade and regional integration
– Organizing workshops and other capacity development activities with Nigeria’s private sector and Federal Ministry of Industry, Trade & Investment
▪ is responsible for innovation and knowledge management as well as the transmission of innovation to a wide range of persons,
▪ integrates results and experiences into team efforts and into all relevant groups, and
▪ is responsible for maintaining a good flow of communication and information between all involved institutions and counterparts and GIZ.
The technical professional performs the following tasks:
Professional Advising and Consulting
▪ participates in identifying needs for external support and advice, elaborates on policy recommendations and develops strategic approaches;
▪ supervises development and implementation of plans and activities in close coordination with the projects;
▪ contributes to preparation and implementation of the consultation process, the project’s activities and efforts;
▪ assists and monitors the development and implementation of project plans and activities
▪ contributes to preparing and implementing the coordination process, joint programme activities and work at national and regional level with the GIZ-ECOWAS programme;
▪ deals with the design, preparation and implementation of workshops, seminars and other events on issues connected with the programme’s areas of activity;
▪ identifies/monitors similar or related ongoing activities in the sector and develops synergies to the extent possible
Communication and networking
▪ supports cooperation, regular contact and dialogue with partners, assists with PR work and cooperates with local communities, relevant organisations, non-governmental agencies and individuals in the programme environment and with other projects to improve and maintain good working relationships;
▪ communicates local interests and efforts, forwards these and encourages sharing ideas and information for the benefit of the programme;
▪ compiles information about trade in the ECOWAS and ensures knowledge transfer;
▪ develops ready-to-use strategies and technical concepts, including guidelines, manuals and procedures;
▪ draws up reports and presentation documents;
▪ prepares appropriate input for various programme reports including annual reports, and contributes to the other reports required by the programme manager;
▪ assists with research activities and studies on political issues which benefit joint programmes.
Other duties/additional tasks
▪ performs other duties and tasks at the request of management
C. Required qualifications, competences and experience
▪ University degree in trade, law, economics, logistics or a subject related to customs administration
▪ at least 5 years professional experience in a comparable position in the area of customs / trade / trade facilitation
▪ demonstrated knowledge and expertise in economic policies and regulations as well as implementation of trade projects
▪ working experience with customs administrations or Federal Ministry of Industry, Trade & Investment is required
▪ working experience or demonstrated cooperation experience with the private sector on customs and trade facilitation issues would be an asset.
Other knowledge, additional competences
▪ good working knowledge of ICT technologies (related software, phone, fax, email, the internet) and computer applications (e.g. MS Office)
▪ strong managerial and organisational competence
▪ excellent knowledge of English
▪ willingness to up-skill as required by the tasks to be performed
You are kindly requested to submit your CV and letter of motivation as one document with complete contact details via email to: email@example.com
(Please include vacancy no. 068 in mail subject)
GIZ Nigeria is an equal opportunity employer; both men and women are encouraged to apply.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted