The Center for International Private Enterprise (CIPE) strengthens democracy around the globe through private enterprise and market-oriented reform. CIPE is one of the four core institutes of the National Endowment for Democracy and an affiliate of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce. Since 1983, CIPE has worked with business leaders, policymakers, and civil society to build the institutions vital to a democratic society. CIPE’s key program areas include enterprise ecosystems, democratic governance, business advocacy, anti-corruption & ethics, and trade.
The Global Alliance for Trade Facilitation (GATF) provides assistance to developing countries in implementing the World Trade Organization’s Trade Facilitation Agreement (TFA). The GATF is a joint effort between the Center for International Private Enterprise (CIPE), the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC), and the World Economic Forum (WEF).
The Alliance brings together leading donors, local and global businesses, and international institutions to help deliver on the potential of the TFA to enable trade-led development. Private sector expertise is leveraged to spur commercially-meaningful trade facilitation reforms. The private sector provides first-hand insight into the problems caused by bureaucracy at borders to help develop innovative and practical solutions.
Position: Legal Assistant, Global Alliance for Trade Facilitation
Reports to: Legal Advisor, Global Alliance for Trade Facilitation
Scope: This full-time, regular, non-exempt position is based in Washington, D.C. The Legal Assistant is responsible for enhancing attorney effectiveness by supporting transaction management, document drafting, research, and other legal procedures connected to CIPE’s Global Alliance for Trade Facilitation programs.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Keeps cases organized by establishing and organizing files, monitoring internal processing of documents, documenting actions, inputting information into file databases, and confirming any in-house transactional status with the Legal Advisor, GATF.
- Helps steer GATF Legal Function’s mission by maintaining contact with internal and external stakeholders, scheduling activities connected to the function, drafting internal documents, preparing external communications, and generating status reports.
- Keeps internal stakeholders informed by maintaining contact and communicating progress.
- Procures, manages, executes, and monitors expenses incurred as part of the Legal Function portfolio.
- Supports Legal Advisors and GATF Team members in drafting contracts and other legal and related programmatic documents.
- Supports legal and policy research under the supervision of Legal Advisors.
- Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities, reading professional publications.
- Accomplishes organization goals by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests, exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
Qualifications and Skills
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent required International Relations, International Business, Economic Development, Finance, Political Science, or Public Policy. Minimum 1 year of administrative office experience
- Interest in international trade or trade law preferred
- Demonstrated strong critical thinking and analytical skills.
- Excellent English writing and verbal skills. Working proficiency in a second language is highly desired, particularly Spanish, Vietnamese, Hindi, Sinhala, or Arabic.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Ability to work efficiently with colleagues, donors, or partners in different timezones
- Strong financial acumen and ability to monitor project budgets.
- Attention to detail and ability to handle multiple tasks in a fast-paced, diverse environment.
- Ability to work independently with minimum supervision.
- Proficiency in MS Office, specifically MS Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint, MS Project or similar.
Benefits and Perks
Competitive Benefits including medical, dental, vision, short & long-term disability, flexible spending, paid family leave, life insurance, 401(k), commuter benefits, telework, and more! Employee events including Company Picnic, Health & Wellness Fair, Holiday Party and lots of fun in between!
CIPE offers a salary competitive with other international non-governmental organizations and an excellent benefits package. Applicants must be legally able to work in the United States; CIPE is unable to sponsor employees for work visas.
CIPE is an Equal Opportunity Employer.