This opportunity has now closed.
SENIOR STRATEGY ADVISOR: REQUEST FOR PROPOSAL
CIPE TRADE/GLOBAL ALLIANCE FOR TRADE FACILITATION
The Global Alliance for Trade Facilitation (GATF) is a public-private delivery mechanism created to support effective implementation of the World Trade Organization’s Trade Facilitation Agreement (“TFA”) through partnerships between governments and private sector. GATF is a cooperative effort funded by the governments of the United States, Great Britain, Canada, Germany, Australia, and Denmark. The GATF Secretariat is composed of the Center for International Private Enterprise (CIPE), the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC-WBO), and the World Economic Forum (WEF), with Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) as implementing partner.
CIPE strengthens democracy around the globe through private enterprise and market-oriented reform. CIPE is one of the four core institutes of the National Endowment for Democracy and an affiliate of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce. Since 1983, CIPE has been working from the ground up with partners to find locally driven solutions to problems that affect the lives of millions of people. CIPE believes democracy is strongest when the private sector is flourishing. Working with local partners that include business associations, chambers of commerce, think tanks, universities and advocacy organizations, CIPE is helping create the enabling environment for business to thrive. CIPE’s key program areas include enterprise ecosystems, business advocacy, democratic governance, and anti-corruption & ethics. CIPE delivers program excellence globally (www.cipe.org). CIPE is a public charity, tax-exempt under Section 501(c) (3) of the United States Internal Revenue Code.
CIPE is looking to retain the services of a Senior Strategic Advisor (SSA) to work with CIPE’s Trade Practice in Washington DC.
The SSA will provide strategic planning, advice, and problem solving support to CIPE’s Trade Practice to optimize the organization’s innovative private sector-oriented approach to trade facilitation reform under the Global Alliance for Trade Facilitation (GATF). The SSA will be an integral part of all project development processes across the entire CIPE Trade portfolio, but the role will primarily advise ongoing and new key strategic projects.
The role will report directly to CIPE’s Director for Trade and CIPE’s Senior Operations Officer for Trade. The SAA role would suit a seasoned professional/firm acquainted with both the political and practical dimensions of the implementation of trade policy reform, particularly those related to implementation of the WTO’s Trade Facilitation Agreement.
SCOPE OF SERVICES
The SSA shall be responsible for the following tasks:
- Advise the CIPE Director for Trade on the development and implementation of CIPE’s trade strategy to maximize the effectiveness of CIPE’s engagement in the field of trade facilitation reform, ensuring that all applicable activities across the Trade Practice’s portfolio are aligned with that strategy
- Provide key intelligence and opportunity assessments into new Trade Practice initiatives and projects
- Manage and build trade facilitation partnerships with and between the private sector and government officials to advance CIPE’s trade strategy in target countries
- Advise CIPE’s Trade Practice and GATF leadership on trade facilitation policy strategy on key projects, as appropriate
- Provide CIPE’s Trade Practice and GATF leadership with strategic project development and management support for key projects, as assigned
- Evaluating and advising on tools and technique used for the management of key projects, particularly those related to high-level engagement in politically-sensitive environments
- Provide senior level technical advice and input, and share international experience and good practices in trade facilitation reform
- Review technical documents for quality control and harmony with CIPE’s trade strategy
- Draft and/or review program reports as needed
- Other duties within the general framework of this positions as assigned by the CIPE Director for Trade.
Education and Experience
- Minimum Master’s Degree or equivalent in an applicable field, with applicable technical or professional training
- Minimum fifteen (15) years of related experience
- Progressive experience of technical assistance and capacity building project implementation (at least 5 years) in the field of trade facilitation at the manager or senior advisor level
- Experience working with governmental or intergovernmental donor-funded projects;
- Proven technical knowledge of trade facilitation issues affecting private sector activities, as well as international standards and good practices;
- Demonstrable network of contacts and high standing in his/her profession with proven record of building and managing effective partnerships and strategic alliances
- Desired expertise in political forecasting and the impact on trade facilitation projects
- Demonstrated ability in interacting with and briefing senior government and business leaders on trade policy issues
- Experience working with emerging Asian economies on customs reform or trade facilitation preferred
- Good inter-personal and communications skills; excellent written communication and reporting skills, as demonstrated through work experience and products
- Proven ability to work successfully in a multi-cultural setting and as part of an integrated team
- Demonstrated leadership, versatility, and integrity
- Fluent written and spoken English required
DURATION OF ASSIGNMENT
The term of this consultancy shall begin on June 1, 2019 and it shall end on May 30, 2020.
The role will report directly to CIPE’s Director for Trade and CIPE’s Senior Operations Officer for Trade.
Please submit your technical and financial proposals in PDF format to Benjamin Shotzberger (BShotzberger@cipe.org) by 5:00 PM Eastern Standard Time, May 17, 2019. Include in the subject line: “Senior Strategy Advisor – CIPE TRADE/GATF.”
Please submit any questions in relation to this RFP by email to: BShotzberger@cipe.org
CIPE is an Equal Opportunity Employer.