GLOBAL ALLIANCE FOR TRADE FACILITATION
TERMS OF REFERENCE
CONSULTING SERVICES TO HIRE A COUNTRY MANAGER BASED IN DELHI, INDIA
The Global Alliance for Trade Facilitation (GATF) is a public-private partnership created to support effective implementation of the World Trade Organization’s Trade Facilitation Agreement (“TFA”) through partnerships between governments and private sector. GATF is a cooperative effort funded by the governments of the United States, Great Britain, Canada, Germany, Australia, and Denmark. The GATF Secretariat is composed of the Center for International Private Enterprise (CIPE), the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC), and the World Economic Forum (WEF), with Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) as implementing partner.
Through the methodology of co-creation between government and private sector entities, the GATF is seeking to develop a project to advance India’s trade facilitation agenda.
The project will need support not only from key government agencies like Indian Customs but also leading private sector organizations like the Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI), the Confederation of Indian Industries (CII), and the Associated Chambers of Commerce and Industry of India (ASSOCHAM).
To support the development and implementation of the project, as well as manage the public-private ecosystem in which this project will be embedded, the Center for International Private Enterprise (CIPE), on behalf of the GATF, wishes to hire the services of a Country Manager (CM), based in Delhi, India.
The CM will oversee GATF activities in India, including project implementation as well as the local public-private partnership on which the project is based.
2. GENERAL OBJECTIVES
The objectives of this consultancy are;
- Manage the public-private project development process (including senior-level key stakeholder management),
- Support concept note and project proposal development activities,
- Support the GATF to implement the future project in line with the objectives, budget, and project timeline identified in the project proposal.
3. SCOPE OF WORK
- Under the supervision of the GATF Program Officer of CIPE and liaising closely with GATF partners in India (particularly ICC India), Washington, Paris, and Geneva, the CM will be responsible for the following:
- Leading and supervising the in-country team conducting GATF-related activities in India, including scoping, project design and implementation, monitoring and evaluation, and stakeholder management.
- Collaborating in the drafting, validation, revision and submission of project concept note, proposal and other project related documentation.
- Coordinating the implementation of all in-country activities identified in the project proposal.
- Establishing close working arrangements with an interdisciplinary team composed of experts from the public and private sectors, GATF, and oversight of individual consultants hired to implement activities throughout the project development phase of the project and later as identified in the project plan.
- Supporting any future public and/or private project implementation unit and project steering committee on a regular basis;
- Overseeing the flow of information between all relevant stakeholders, which is required for the effective execution of the project;
- Identifying, collecting and sharing lessons learned with relevant stakeholders;
- Any other project tasks as may be agreed among the GATF, Indian officials, and other relevant public/private stakeholders.
4. SPECIFIC ACTIVITIES
- The consultant will conduct, as a minimum, the following activities:
- Provide on the ground, in-country intelligence on the evolving landscape of trade facilitation reforms in India, conducive to a project proposal and to successful implementation of a project.
- Arrange and support scoping visits involving government and private sector stakeholders in the Indian trade facilitation ecosystem.
- Develop and maintain relationships with key actors in the Indian trade facilitation and international trade ecosystem
- Identify opportunities for private sector contributions throughout the development and implementation of the project
- Prepare monthly and quarterly progress reports highlighting the activities conducted, challenges faced, proposed solutions, and established objectives.
- Support the development of terms of reference for the activities identified in the project plan.
- Participate in evaluation activities to (re)assess technical and financial targets as needed.
- Co-lead project review exercises, which are designed to adjust, organize and streamline project procedures/schedules/plans, highlighting the activities that will have an impact on project implementation.
- Monitor progress on all deliverables and outputs identified in the project.
- Participate in regular project evaluation and review meetings to identify current and future bottlenecks/challenges/risks and to develop and initiate resolutions.
- Document all changes requested to project scope, schedule and budget.
5. DURATION OF ASSIGNMENT
- The duration of the contract is one (1) year full time with extensions for additional 6 to 12-month periods depending on performance and project status. Expected start date: May 2019.
6. REPORTING ARRANGEMENTS
- The selected candidate will report to the GATF Program Officer of CIPE, based in Canberra, Australia.
7. ADMINISTRATIVE AND LOGISTICAL ARRANGEMENTS
- Office accommodation will be provided at ICC India headquarters in Delhi, India. GATF’s project in India may focus on a different city, at which point the physical location of the Country Manager will be reassessed for efficiency purposes.
- Although the position does not require a significant amount of travel, the candidate may be required to attend meetings and provide support for out-of-office events on occasion. All work-related traveling expenses outside of Delhi will be funded by the GATF.
8. DELIVERABLES AND PAYMENT SCHEDULE
- For the performance of duties outlined in this Terms of Reference, the consultant will be paid monthly.
9. TECHNICAL PROFILE OF CANDIDATE
- Bachelor’s degree in international trade, business, information technology, engineering, or social sciences preferred. Other disciplines as applicable will be considered.
- At least 5 years of experience working in a project-oriented organization or managing a variety of trade modernization projects.
- Demonstrated experience working for or with government agencies in India, particularly involving high-level officials.
- Demonstrated experience managing multiple actors in a partnership environment desired, particularly involving corporate or private sector stakeholders.
- Sound working knowledge of project management techniques, tools and software.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, including Microsoft Project or similar
- Experience working both independently and, in a team, -oriented, collaborative environment is essential.
- Can conform to shifting priorities, demands and timelines through analytical and problem-solving capabilities.
- Reacts to project adjustments and alterations promptly and efficiently.
- Must be able to work with little supervision, be detail-oriented and able to organize multiple priorities.
- Strong written and oral communication skills in English.
Additional qualifications preferred:
- Strategic and proactive thinking and planning capacity
- Financial management/business acumen or ability to manage and understand budgets
- Strong English writing skills with attention to detail
- Strong management and leadership skills
- Problem solving capacity, mediation and facilitation skills
- Reliability as a team player
- Ability to work in a multicultural context
- Strong IT skills
To apply for this opportunity, please send a resume and cover letter, writing sample in English to: Arnold Jorge (email@example.com), and Tradejobs@cipe.org with the subject line: “CM GATF INDIA [YOURLASTNAME]”
Applicants must be legally able to work in India and based in Delhi. CIPE and the GATF cannot pay for relocation expenses.
CIPE is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Posted 19/08/19, open for 30 days.