Consulting service for ePhyto project scoping – Mozambique
The Alliance is looking for a consultant to provide the technical expertise and know-how required to evaluate and scope a project idea for implementing the e-Phytosanitary solution for the Government of Mozambique
Consulting service for ePhyto project scoping in Mozambique
World Economic Forum/Global Alliance for Trade Facilitation
The Global Alliance for Trade Facilitation (the “Alliance”) is an initiative jointly hosted by the World Economic Forum, the International Chamber of Commerce and the Center for International Private Enterprise in cooperation with Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ).
The Alliance brings together governments and businesses as equal partners to identify trade facilitation issues such as delays and unnecessary red-tape at borders, and design and implement targeted reforms that deliver commercially quantifiable results.
The Alliance’s work is designed to help governments in developing and least developed countries implement the World Trade Organization’s Trade Facilitation Agreement (TFA). The Alliance is currently implementing ten projects and developing further projects across the globe.
The Alliance is supported by the governments of the United States, Canada, Australia, Germany and Denmark, and works with private sector partners from small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) to the world’s largest multinationals such as BASF, DHL, FCA Group, Maersk, UPS and Walmart.
As part of its work, the Alliance is collaborating with the International Plant Protection Convention (IPPC) Secretariat to help governments in developing and least developed countries make trade simpler, faster and more cost-effective while strengthening plant health protection and consumer safety. They aim to do this by supporting countries to introduce electronic phytosanitary certificates, or ePhytos.
2) Assignment Background and Overview
The services required relate to the evaluation and scoping of a project idea for implementing an e-Phytosanitary solution for the Government of Mozambique (‘The Project’). The selected consultant will provide the technical expertise and know-how required to evaluate the feasibility of and scope the proposed project idea. If the project is considered to be feasible, the consultant will then prepare and submit a proposal for Alliance approval. If the project idea is approved for implementation by the Alliance, the consultant will prepare the technical requirements for the Request for Proposal (‘RFP’) for the selection of project implementers.
The duration of the contract will be for an initial 3-month period (renewable), on the basis of 2 working days per week maximum. Invoicing to be done on the basis of work conducted supported by timesheets. Expected start date: as soon as possible.
3) Duties, deliverables and required profiles
- Organise and conduct meetings with relevant government and private sector stakeholders (while in-country meetings are preferable remote meetings are an acceptable alternative due to Covid-19 restrictions)
- Research and propose best practices for the design of the Project
- Consult with the Alliance’s Metrics & Evaluation team on measurement and impact assessment of the Project (including gender and SME mainstreaming)
- Advise the Alliance on project validation progress and work closely with the Alliance E-Phyto support team to ensure validation objectives are met
- Stakeholder Commitment: the Consultant will secure stakeholder buy-in for the Project and obtain letters of commitment from the key project stakeholders
- In consultation with the Alliance team plan, structure and deliver a project proposal for the consideration of Alliance Management.
- RFP: If the Project is approved for implementation by the Alliance, the Consultant will draft the technical requirements of the RFP for project implementers.
The consultant will provide the Alliance with the following deliverables (the “Deliverables”)
- A plan for stakeholder engagement in Mozambique
- A technical and financial proposal for implementation of E-Phyto for submission to Alliance Management Team
- If the Project is approved for implementation by the Alliance, the technical requirements for the Request for Proposal for project implementers.
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in trade facilitation and modernisation reforms in Africa
- Proven track record in scoping and designing trade facilitation technical projects
- Experience with public-private partnerships
- Strong understanding of the TFA and other applicable international instruments
- Strong written communication and stakeholder engagement skills
- Strong written and oral communication skills in English and Portuguese
- Located in Mozambique or able to travel to Mozambique as needed (health and government regulations permitting) would be an asset
Deliverables and payment schedule
For the performance of duties outlined in this Terms of Reference, the consultant will be paid on the basis of time worked, supported by timesheets up to a maximum of 2 working days per week.
4) Contract and selection process
Direct contract by World Economic Forum.
Please submit your CV and daily consulting rate in USD in PDF format to Sandra Wydler email@example.com and include in the subject line “ePhyto Mozambique [YOURLASTNAME]” until 30.04.2021.
Closing date for applications: 30 April 2021 at 11:59 pm CET.