Consultant – Phytosanitary Certification and Licensing Domain Expert
GLOBAL ALLIANCE FOR TRADE FACILITATION/WORLD ECONOMIC FORUM
Provision of services full time for an initial period of 6 months
The Global Alliance for Trade Facilitation is an initiative jointly hosted by the World Economic Forum, the International Chamber of Commerce and the Center for International Private Enterprise in cooperation with Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ).
The Alliance’s work is designed to help governments in developing and least developed countries implement the World Trade Organization’s Trade Facilitation Agreement (TFA). It brings together governments and businesses as equal partners to identify trade facilitation issues such as customs delays and unnecessary red-tape at borders, and design and implement targeted reforms that deliver commercially quantifiable results
The Alliance is supported by the governments of the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, Germany and Denmark, and works with private sector partners from small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) to the world’s largest multinationals such as DHL, FCA Group, Maersk, UPS and Walmart.
As part of its work, the Alliance is collaborating with the International Plant Protection Convention (IPPC) Secretariat to help governments in developing and least developed countries make trade simpler, faster and more cost-effective while strengthening plant health protection and consumer safety. They aim to do this by supporting countries to introduce electronic phytosanitary certificates, or ePhytos.
2. Description of services
The services will be provided over an initial period of time of 6 months which can be renewed depending on the success of the initiative. The Domain Expert will operate from a location of his/her choice and will collaborate closely with the Global Alliance for Trade Facilitation team. He/she will report to the Deputy Director of the Alliance team based at the World Economic Forum.
The Domain Expert will support all efforts of the Alliance to help governments introduce the ePhyto solution and strengthen the collaboration with the IPPC Secretariat. As such, the consultant will perform the following key functions:
- Coordinate the ePhyto upscaling initiative of the Alliance, including the identification of and outreach to project countries, following implementation of projects in countries, and reporting on implementation
- Foster the exchange between different project teams involved in the ePhyto projects of the Alliance
- Propose and implement new tools and approaches to effectively gather project data and streamline workstreams
- Represent the Alliance in the relevant industry advisory group (IAG) and actively contribute towards the common objectives
- Take ownership of and maintain the “ePhyto toolkit” – currently under development – bringing the key documents and training materials on ePhyto into one central toolkit for onboarding of new countries to the ePhyto solution
- Lead the collection of project data and stories, in collaboration with external partners, e.g. the IAG, as relevant, for purposes of impact measurement and external communications
3. Required profile
- At least 5 years of relevant professional experience in trade facilitation, international trade economics or international development. Experience in agricultural trade is a plus.
- Strong understanding of the TFA and other applicable international instruments
- Strong written communication and stakeholder engagement skills
- Command of Microsoft packages (MS Word, MS Excel, MS Access) is required.
- Fluency in spoken and written English. Fluency in another language – such as French or Spanish – is an asset.
- Excellent organisational, interpersonal and network-building skills and the ability to work in a multi-stakeholder, multi-cultural environment.
- Attention to detail, superior organisation skills and ability to operate within tight deadlines.
- Established as an independent consultant
4. Duration of Assignment
The duration of the contract will be for an initial 6 months, renewable. Expected start date: As soon as possible.
5. Deliverables and payment schedule
For the performance of duties outlined in this Terms of Reference, the consultant will be paid monthly.
To apply for this opportunity, please send a resume and cover letter addressing your relevant qualifications to this consultancy, and your monthly consulting rate in PDF format to: Ines Knaepper (email@example.com) with the subject line: “ePhyto Domain Expert [YOURLASTNAME]”. The deadline is 23:59 CEST, Sunday 6 September 2020.