Trade Facilitation Expert – Scoping mission in Indonesia
GLOBAL ALLIANCE FOR TRADE FACILITATION/ TRADE FACILITATION OFFICE CANADA
TFO Canada is looking for a Trade Facilitation Expert (preferably based in Indonesia) to help prepare a Concept Note and a Project Proposal for its Trade Facilitation project scoping activities in Indonesia from Feb.01-March.30
1) Background and objective:
The Global Alliance for Trade Facilitation (the Alliance) is a public-private partnership for trade-led growth. It brings together governments and businesses as equal partners to identify trade facilitation issues such as customs delays and unnecessary red-tape at borders, and design and implement targeted reforms that deliver commercially quantifiable results.
The Alliance’s work is designed to help governments in developing and least developed countries implement the World Trade Organization’s Trade Facilitation Agreement (TFA).
The Alliance is led by the Center for International Private Enterprise (CIPE), the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC), and the World Economic Forum (the Forum), in cooperation with Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ). The Alliance is supported by the governments of the United States, Canada, Germany, Denmark, the United Kingdom and Australia, and works with private sector partners from small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) to the world’s largest multinationals such as DHL, FCA Group, Maersk, UPS and Walmart.
Trade Facilitation Office (TFO) Canada (www.tfocanda.ca) is a not-for-profit organization whose mission is to improve lives through the creation of sustainable trade partnerships for exporters from developing countries with Canadian and foreign buyers. TFO Canada assists Small and Medium sized enterprises (SMEs) and Trade Support Institutions (TSIs)/Trade Promotion Organizations (TPOs)/Business Support Organizations (BSO-business associations, chambers of commerce, exporters associations etc.) from developing countries to access international markets through its information (general and sector specific), advice (including capacity building) and contact services (including trade missions and business to business matchmaking). Since 1980, TFO Canada, through its internationally experienced project management staff and roster of sectoral experts have been providing trade facilitation/promotion and capacity building services to tens of thousands of SMEs and hundreds of TSIs/TPOs/BSOs from all corners of the globe (Latin America, Africa, Middle East, Eastern Europe and Asia).
The Alliance has contracted TFO Canada as an implementing partner of the Alliance to identify and develop potential trade facilitation projects in Indonesia. Accordingly, TFO Canada has started a scoping activity (October 2020-March 2021) in Indonesia. Components of the scoping include the following 3 phases:
- Country brief
- Concept note
- Project Proposal
Reporting to TFO Canada’s Asia Program Director and working with TFO Canada’s Canada based project management team (Project Manager-Asia and Project Support Manager), the local team based in Indonesia (Local coordinator and Local project officer) and other international and local experts, the Trade Facilitation Expert preferably based in Indonesia) will provide expertise and support in the area of trade facilitation, specifically in Indonesia, to prepare a concept note and project proposal within the agreed scope, workplan/schedule and budget developed in accordance with the Alliance’s Operations Guidelines.
Following are the detailed description of the activities:
Concept Note for Indonesia: With remote support of the TFO Canada project management team based in Ottawa and the team based in Indonesia, the Trade Facilitation Expert will provide expertise and support in trade facilitation for the development of the concept note (as per the Alliance format and in accordance with the Alliance’s Operations Guidelines), based on the overview of trade facilitation challenges and potential solutions identified in the Country Brief, and detailed consultations with relevant Indonesian public and private sector stakeholders. The concept note will present a potential trade facilitation project idea for Indonesia, accompanied by support letters from the key Indonesian public and private sector partners/stakeholders.
Duration: February 1 – February 26, 2021
Project proposal for Indonesia: The Trade Facilitation Expert will provide expertise and support in trade facilitation for the development of Project Proposal based on the Concept Note for approval by the Alliance’s Steering Group. The Project Proposal (as per format provided by the Alliance) will describe the strategy, outcomes, impacts and sustainability of the proposed project. It will also describe the various project partners and proposed partnership strategy, and provide project plan (timeline, phases), structure (governance, project team, project steering committee), monitoring and evaluation plan and detailed budget.
Duration: March 1, 2021 – March 30, 2021
3) Methodology: The TFO Canada project management team based in Canada will support the Team based in Indonesia in all the above activities. They will also monitor/follow-up with the team to ensure that activities are taking place according to agreed scope, work plan and budget. The Indonesian team will conduct consultations with relevant stakeholders from public and private sector, provide TF related country specific information and updates, and provide support to the TFO Canada team in the preparation of project activities and outcome reports, as per reporting format of the Alliance and timeline, as well as provide necessary support to the Asia Program Director in monthly review discussions with the Alliance. With remote support from TFO Canada’s project management team, the Team based in Indonesia will manage activities of project experts, partners and suppliers to ensure the successful implementation of scoping activities in Indonesia.
4) Deliverables and deadlines
- Deliverable 1: Concept note (final): Feb. 25, 2021
- Deliverable 2: Project proposal workplan: March 01, 2021
- Deliverable 3: Proposal (draft): March 22, 2021
- Deliverable 4: Proposal (final): March 30, 2021
5) Knowledge / Experience:
- Master’s degree in international Trade or International Economic Law with specialization in International Trade, or equivalent combination of education and work experience
- Minimum 05 years’ knowledge and working experience in Trade Facilitation (preferably in Indonesia) on subjects such as: single window, advance rulings, National Trade Facilitation Committee (NTFC), risk management, customs procedures and related policies/regulations, regulatory improvement and administrative simplification etc., including experience in capacity building for foreign trade and transparency in regulatory matters.
- Minimum 05 years’ experience working in/with the public and private sector (preferably in Indonesia) in matters of single window, regulations, and trade facilitation.
- Experience working with international cooperation organizations and managing development – trade facilitation projects that include SMEs.
- Language: Fluency in spoken, reading and written English is required. Additional Bahasa language fluency is preferable.
- The publication of articles and / or studies on trade facilitation will be valued.
To apply for this opportunity, please send your resume, a cover letter to Zaki Munshi, TFO Canada Asia Program Director at firstname.lastname@example.org by 6:00 pm Eastern Standard Time, Feb.19, 2021