Consultant – Hackathon Co-Pilot
GLOBAL ALLIANCE FOR TRADE FACILITATION/WORLD ECONOMIC FORUM
Provision of services full time for an initial period of two (2) months
The Global Alliance for Trade Facilitation is an initiative jointly hosted by the World Economic Forum, the International Chamber of Commerce and the Center for International Private Enterprise in cooperation with Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ).
The Alliance’s work is designed to help governments in developing and least developed countries implement the World Trade Organization’s Trade Facilitation Agreement (TFA). It brings together governments and businesses as equal partners to identify trade facilitation issues such as customs delays and unnecessary red-tape at borders, and design and implement targeted reforms that deliver commercially quantifiable results
The Alliance is supported by the governments of the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, Germany and Denmark, and works with private sector partners from small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) to the world’s largest multinationals such as DHL, FCA Group, Maersk, UPS and Walmart.
As part of its work, the Alliance is piloting a highly innovative way to design and deliver trade-related projects. Inspired by the world of tech and adapted to the world of trade, the Alliance Tech Hackathon programme will support developing country governments in simplifying and expediting trade through agile, targeted and out-of-the-box solutions. The programme aims to disrupt trade facilitation by uniting governments, businesses, entrepreneurs and universities to deliver the next generation of trade reform. In this context the Alliance is collaborating with different external stakeholders to organise a series of co-creation and innovation events – also known as hackathons.
- Description of services
The services will be provided over an initial period of time of two (2) months which can be renewed depending on the success of the initiative. The Hackathon Co-Pilot will operate from a location of his/her choice and will collaborate closely with the Global Alliance for Trade Facilitation team. He/she will report to the Innovation and Hackathon Lead based at the World Economic Forum.
The Hackathon Co-Pilot will support the Innovation and Hackathon Lead of all her efforts to strengthen the innovation footprint in the world of trade facilitation. As such, the consultant will perform the following key functions:
- Supporting the organisation and execution of two hackathon initiatives foreseen for the months of November and December 2020, including the identification of and outreach to relevant supporters, mentors and judges, project countries, and involved stakeholders,
- Assisting in the end-to-end organisation of the two virtual events, including coordination of communication and advertisement, onboarding of participants, mentors and judges, online support during the events, harvesting of results, preparation of final reporting, etc.
- Contribute strongly to the administrative processes linked to the organisation of a hackathon event, e.g. organisation of translation services for documents, websites and meetings, procurement of related services, organisation of incubation process, etc.
- Required profile
- Broad academic background with a degree in a relevant subject (business administration, engineering, etc.)
- At least 3 years of experience in organizing or managing hackathons, innovation challenges or similar events, preferably in a multi-cultural/developing country environment
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills in English; fluency in another language – such as French or Spanish – is an asset
- Excellent organisational, interpersonal and network-building skills and the ability to work in a multi-stakeholder, multi-cultural environment.
- Command of Microsoft packages (MS Word, MS Excel, MS Access) is required.
- Attention to detail, superior organisation skills and ability to operate within tight deadlines.
- Established as an independent consultant
- Duration of Assignment
The duration of the contract will be for two (2) months. Expected start date: As soon as possible.
- Deliverables and payment schedule
For the performance of duties outlined in this Terms of Reference, the consultant will be paid monthly.
To apply for this opportunity, please send a resume and cover letter addressing your relevant qualifications to this consultancy, and your monthly consulting rate in PDF format to: Ines Knaepper (email@example.com) with the subject line: “Hackathon Co-Pilot [YOURLASTNAME]”. The deadline is 23:59 CET, Sunday 15 November 2020.