Phytosanitary Technical Domain Expert, international trade
Provision of services on part-time basis for an initial period of 6 months
The Global Alliance for Trade Facilitation is an initiative jointly hosted by the World Economic Forum, the International Chamber of Commerce and the Center for International Private Enterprise in cooperation with Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ).
The Alliance’s work is designed to help governments in developing and least developed countries implement the World Trade Organization’s Trade Facilitation Agreement (TFA). It brings together governments and businesses as equal partners to identify trade facilitation issues such as customs delays and unnecessary red-tape at borders, and design and implement targeted reforms that deliver commercially quantifiable results
The Alliance is supported by the governments of the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, Germany and Denmark, and works with private sector partners from small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) to the world’s largest multinationals such as DHL, FCA Group, Maersk, UPS and Walmart.
As part of its work, the Alliance is collaborating with the International Plant Protection Convention (IPPC) Secretariat to help governments in developing and least developed countries make trade simpler, faster and more cost-effective while strengthening plant health protection and consumer safety. They aim to do this by supporting countries to introduce electronic phytosanitary certificates, or ePhytos.
2) Description of services
The services will be provided over an initial period of time of 6 months which can be renewed depending on the success of the initiative. The ePhyto Technical Domain Expert will operate from a location of his/her choice and will collaborate closely with the Global Alliance for Trade Facilitation team.
The Technical Domain Expert will support all efforts of the Alliance to help governments introduce the ePhyto solution and strengthen the collaboration with the IPPC Secretariat. As such, the consultant will perform the following key functions:
- Support the in-country project manager to conduct the BPA mapping – end to end process with all stakeholders, and the mapping of To Be process
- Assist the local IT environment assessment
- Provide guidance on IT planification and roadmap
- Manage technical coordination with IPPC and UNICC
4) Required profile
- At least 5 years of relevant professional experience in trade facilitation, international trade economics or international development. Experience in technical project implementation is a plus.
- Strong understanding of the TFA and other applicable international instruments
- Strong written communication and stakeholder engagement skills
- Command of Microsoft packages (MS Word, MS Excel, MS Access) is required.
- Fluency in spoken and written English. Fluency in another language – such as French or Spanish – is an asset.
- Excellent organisational, interpersonal and network-building skills and the ability to work in a multi-stakeholder, multi-cultural environment.
- Attention to detail, superior organisation skills and ability to operate within tight deadlines.
- Established as an independent consultant
5) Duration of Assignment
The duration of the contract will be for an initial 6 months, renewable. Expected start date: As soon as possible.
7) Deliverables and payment schedule
For the performance of duties outlined in this Terms of Reference, the consultant will be paid monthly.
To apply for this opportunity, please send a resume and cover letter addressing your relevant qualifications to this consultancy, and your daily consulting rate in PDF format to: Ines Knaepper (email@example.com) with the subject line: “ePhyto Technical Domain Expert [YOURLASTNAME]” until 30.11.2020